I like to think of awesome ideas, and build as well. My research interests are quite varied and far at times, and I am usually found mashing up those disciplines- sensors, magic, lights, fashion, engineering, aesthetics, glitch art, music, cultures etc. As an independent inventor early on, I used to cook-up ideas in my head, then go out figure whatever tools/means required to build them- they not necessarily looked pretty. I picked up design/aesthetics through travel and working with carpenters and hand-smiths in Rajasthan, much later after 2006. Today, my means of approach are application of material sciences, wearable computing, augmented and virtual reality, stereoscopic/projected interfaces, and storytelling.
I love magic. In other universe, I’m probably undergoing apprenticeship with some sorcerer.
Before MIT, I started the Lechal shoe project as a DIY project, and co-founded Ducere Technologies Pvt. Ltd. in 2011 to bring, the electronic shoes for the visually impaired to the market, which evolved as a fashion product. The same won me MIT TR35 –‘Innovator of year’ award.
Update: Graviky Labs pilots Kaalink. and here’s what our work at Graviky looks like.
I co-led the MIT Media Lab India Initiative for last two years. The initiative focuses on anti-displinary research trying to bring the best of scientists, engineers, designers, artists on the same platform and hence invent and innovate across disciplines. Here’s a video of the workshop we did in Jan 2014, in Mumbai.
I graduated from the Fluid Interfaces Group at MIT Media Lab, at Massachusetts Institute of Technology where I worked on ‘Augmented Reality/2D/3D using transparent OLED displays’. .
Before that, worked at Imagin Group, at Hewlett Packard Labs, an intuitive open-source speech+ touch based CAD interface for large displays. The prototype ‘MozArt’ is a permanent installation at HP Innovation Center at Zurich and Dubai.
I’m open to collaborate and consult with practitioners and industries alike- if they’ve anything to do with keywords like (wearable, scifi, inventive, assistive, interactive, open-source, sensorial, haptic, multimodal).
Anirudh is found on #freenode, IRC with nickname: touchaddict
- Cannes Innovation Festival- Gold Lion, Cannes, France, 2017
- Winner, D&AD Graphite Pencil Award for Creativity and Innovation for AIR-INK
- Shell. ‘Make the Future’ Award 2017 (Most disruptive impact startup in India)
- Foreign Policy 100 Global Thinkers Award, Washington DC 2016
- 30 Under 30 – Forbes 2016
- Panel, Sankalp Forum, Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi 2015
- INK Fellow 2013
- Fashion Wear Design FastCo. Fellow
- Lechal at TED Global 2013
- MIT TR35 ‘ India-Innovator of the Year’ 2011, 35 Innovators under 35
- ‘Top Achievement Award’ by Industrial Design Center IIT Delhi Design Degree Show
- 2011 Google Summer of Code 2009 and 2010 scholarship to work with NUIGroup and Mozilla
- 1st Prize for Team Sparsh at BITS Pilani for prototype based on Multitouch System
- 1st Prize at International Open Hardware competition at IIT Kanpur for Multitouch System
- ‘Best Outsider Team’ at ‘Capture the flag-Reverse Engineering’ at Quark 2008, BITS Pilani
- Received Spic Macay Gurkul Scholarship 2006 to travel rural Rajasthan with Aruna Roy and participate in Social movement related to Right to Information (RTI) Act.
Talks/Exhibits of work
- TED 2017 Star Plus, ‘Air Pollution recycled to inks’
- Clean Air Gallery, London 2017
- Media Lab Spinoffs Gallery, MIT, Cambridge, 2016
- TEDxGateway 2016
- Keynote, The Goa Project 2015
- Indian Institute of Science/IISc Bangalore
- Sankalp Global Summit 2015, Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi 2015
- Confederation of Indian Industry(CII), Innovation Panel 2015
- Keynote, The Goa Project 2015
- Keynote, IIT Patna, Anwesha 2015
- UIST 2014, St. Andrews, Scotland
- CES 2014
- IIT Bombay, E-Summit 2014
- INK Conference, Kochi 2014
- 2011 TEDxGoa, Goa
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2013, Aspen, Colorado
- Board of Cricket Control in India(BCCI) 2012. ‘Simple embodied sensors to track sportsmen’
- 2012 ‘3D User Interfaces & Technologies’ at National Institute of Design campus, Bangalore.
- ‘Bits, the eyes and the senses’ at FOSS.in 2010- Organized Prototyping session (45 members)
- ‘Tangible UI and Multitouch’ at RajasFOSS 2010 ‘Minimalist HCI Interfaces’ at FOSSGN09